And so life marches on. There is a comfortable regularity to the monotony of the week. I will soon tire of the predictablity, but right now it provides stability and familiarity...and that is good.
Very soon, my favorite season will be upon us...Fall. I welcome this time of year with open arms....and lots of decorating. This season rivals Christmas, in a serious way...but Christmas will always be my favorite holiday. And yes, there is a difference.
I awoke last Saturday morning, and before the fog had totally lifted from my head and I had begun to see clearly, I was jolted awake by the reality of the day....Florida State Football season had officially started. I leaned over to my still sleeping husband and whispered softly, "Wake up, love. All is right in the world today. Today's the day. Time to hoist the FSU flag...". At which point he rolled over towards me with a big smile on his face, as if I told him we had just won the lotto, and said, "I know. Go check the flag pole. I put the flag up last night. I couldn't wait for today...".
And I know there are many of you out there scratching your heads and wondering what the big deal is...I mean it's only football. But to us, it is so much more. And really, if I have to explain it, just know that you had to have been there. It is memories of easier times when we were in college and the entire weekend was centered around the game...pre-game tailgating, the game, post-game tailgating, the party after the game, and the next day recovering from the game. It's the camaraderie of your friends and the other 80,000+ fans who are all there for the same purpose...to watch our team win. And there is strength in that hope. It is the smell of the stadium, the noise of the crowd, the band playing the fight song, Renegade galloping onto the field with a Seminole on his back, the roar of the crowd as the flaming spear is lit and thrown into the center of the field, the cheeleaders leading chants, the high-fives for good plays, the scorn for poorly executed plays and bad calls, and the pandamonium that occurs when a touchdown is scored and the game is won. It is all these moments combined that inundate my senses, in one second, when I think of football season....and of my favorite season, Fall.
The brainwashing in our household continues....and no, I am not afraid to admit it. The piping of the Seminole Fight Song has been echoing through our surround sound at decibels that I am sure are not safe for growing ears. The kids have been practicing the "chop", while the parents are practicing their one arm adult beverage curls. It is football season, and all is right in the world...(ahem, even when we are not winning).
While out on a walk the other evening, I noticed that change is in the air. Although our weather does not resemble anything close to fall, there are subtle changes. The shadows are longer and the days shorter. The evenings are losing their grip on the relentless heat and humidity of the day, and replacing it (ever so slowly) with more pleasant and comfortable temperatures. Soon I will begin baking pumpkin pie and cooking chili, and the house will be filled with the warm smells of apples and vanilla (if only from a candle). And while our leaves won't change, and our air won't become crisp and cold, we will celebrate Fall in our own way.
As I looked at the calendar the other day, I realized that the Autumn equinox falls on Emily's birthday. How appropriate that my girl was born on the start of my favorite season. Coincidence? Nah, this girl doesn't believe in coincidence. It is all part of the Master's plan.
There will be much scheming and party planning happening in the upcoming week. My girl's fifth birthday party is next Saturday, and you can be sure there will not be a detail too small to be overlooked. At her request, it will be a "Jessie & Bullseye" party (from Toy Story) with pony rides (compliments of Pappy and Peekie's fine steads) and a hayride. Stay tuned for more on this exciting adventure!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some love, and leave a message. You know you want to...!