Sunday, July 18, 2010
See you soon...
"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same." --- Unknown
I hate goodbyes. I resist change.
You would think after all the years we have spent in and around the military, saying goodbye would get easier. Nope, never, not so much.
So it was with much heartache that I said goodbye last week to one of the most amazing friends to have ever entered my life.
I had the privilege of meeting Melanie a little over a year ago, through our friend Sunny (who has also flown the coop of South FL for VEGAS, baby!). We casually ran into one another at various functions that summer, but it wasn't until our children became classmates this past year that we really connected. And even had we known that her time in South FL would be coming to an end this summer and that she and her family would be moving back to Newfoundland, Canada, I still would've cultivated our friendship just as I did....because it changed me. Knowing Melanie has made me a better person...in so many ways.
My friendship with Melanie has always been centered around the things that mean the most to me: children, family, faith and happiness. Simple, pure, and drama-free.
Getting to know her has been like a dip in the pool on a hot, balmy S FL summer afternoon: easy, refreshing, carefree and fun. And I am so very grateful for it. Melanie renewed my faith in the power of a good friend at a time when the loss of a former friendship had rocked me to my core. She reminded me that true friendships are easy and stress-free and don't require detective skills when getting to know someone...and that friends don't require jackhammers to break down walls to our hearts.
Together, we watched our oldest "little ones" grow and flourish, both personally and academically, in the loving care of their PreK3 classroom. From ABCs and "letter buckets", to recitals and classroom parties, I was so happy to experience it all along with Melanie.
Not to mention, that we are now "family" thanks to an impromptu wedding between Alexander (Melanie's son) and Emily. Yes my friends, you heard it here. Our children were "married" in the kitchen "center" at school. And when asked how they sealed the marriage, Alexander told his mom that they kissed and that Emily had "soft lips" ;) We are still working on the terms of their long-distance marriage.
And as if all of the above mentioned qualities in a friend weren't enough, my sweet friend is also very talented. I about fell out of my chair the night she told me she was an opera singer...seriously. Not a profession many people have bragging rights to...but she does. And since I have serious singing envy because I couldn't carry a tune even if my life depended on it (I even hurt my own ears in the shower), I was blown away when I finally got the chance to hear her sing. Oh, and just to drive the point home that she ROCKS, here is a little video clip I took of her singing in church one Sunday. CLICK HERE. And yes, she shares her God given talent every Sunday in the Lord's house. Can I get an, AMEN?!
Yes, I will miss my friend in so many countless ways. But there are also a million other reasons to rejoice for Melanie and her family. After 16 years away from their families, they have finally returned home. There she and Jim will raise their two beautiful children with their grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Family. And there is no way you can argue with that.
I am already looking forward to our first, of many, annual Girl's Weekends. This year, NYC!! A weekend of shows, shopping and fabulousness....watch out NYC! Then, we will welcome the Meaney's back to sunny S FL when they need to thaw out during those long and cold Canadian winters. In the meantime, we will run up the phone bill and type until our little fingers cramp.
Friends. They are truly a gift from God. And in the words of Michael W. Smith, "Friends are friends forever, if the Lord's the Lord of them. And a friend will not say never 'cause the welcome will not end. Though it's hard to let you go, in the Father's hands we know, that a lifetime's not too long to live as friends...".
Thank you, Melanie for all of the memories...and the many yet to come. This is not goodbye, rather see you soon, my friend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



THANK YOU. Wow. As I sit here in tears and tissues, I am so blessed by you and your friendship. How can I thank you enough for this beautiful blog? All I can say is DITTO to EVERYTHING. I am truly a better person because of YOU. Full circle. You are gifted in so many ways, Rebecca....and you need to publish these blogs! Publish SOMETHING, for the world needs to hear your beautiful and meaningful words. I feel renewed and rejeuvinated when I read your words. I know you're working today, otherwise I'd be on the phone with you right now. But I will call you tomorrow and thank you in person - on the phone/person! Hope you are having a great day. Thank you SO MUCH again for this, my beautiful friend. O.K...I need another tissue!
ReplyDelete