Sunday, April 17, 2011

Milestones and Happiness

This time of year is a time of milestones in our family. It has been five years since we moved back to South FL and purchased our humble aboad. And while there have been a few cosmetic changes and consturction projects, there have also been many memories created. Memories that contain much happiness, hope, some sadness, and a healthy heaping of love. Here we have celebrated holiday and birthdays; we have said goodbye to good friends and loved ones; we have also welcomed new members to our family and extended our umbrella of friendship with amazing neighbors. We never intended to stay here longer than five years. That was not in our plan. But, sometimes life has other plans for us and we go with it.

A little over a year ago, I also decided to change the way I blogged. I had always kept this blog as more of a chronological journal of our lives. It was simple and sweet, but lacked...something. I wanted--needed--more. I needed something that allowed me the opportunity to share and document the new journey that I have been on for myself, my kids, our family, and anyone else who may be interested. Something that in some small way, could reflect the metamorphosis that has been occurring in my life.

Watching and experiencing the pain and disappointment of losing someone you love can provide, perspective. That experience has forced much reflection and introspection. The important things in life have become both painfully and wonderfully, apparent. Everyday, I challenge and force myself to find the joy and beauty of the day despite the many obstacles that are faced. And in this process, the most interesting thing has happened. As I have forced myself to see the beauty and the amazing details in life, the more apparent it has become. From the simple hug of a child, to an unexpected phone call from a good friend, to appreciating the setting sun or rising moon. I can see the beauty that I once ignored or thought I was too busy to appreciate. This doesn't mean I don't have bad days. That I don't get frustrated, angry, lonely, sad or disappointed. It just means that I don't allow those emotions to control me or take away my happiness. I control my happiness. I do not wait for it to be served on a silver platter. I do not impose that responsibility on someone else. I choose laughter, smiles, rainbows, fairies, unicorns and magic. I choose to see beauty, feel love, hear laughter, smell the roses, and taste the sweetness of life.

As we welcome another spring, we welcome the time of new beginnings and fresh starts.

Neighbors who are always up for a "happy hour" playdate or impromptu dinner date...

Photobucket

Photobucket

We welcome two new goslings to our neighborhood lake...

Photobucket

Birthdays that celebrate the life of some of my favorite people...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

which sometimes includes a spontaneous game of musical chairs...

Photobucket

with musical accompaniment by some of my favorite people...

Photobucket

Speaking of some of my favorite people,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy 3rd Anniversary Joe and Amy..

Photobucket

We have also welcomed the warmer weather that ushers in Spring here in South FL. Warmer weather means more time spent enjoying the sacred place where the sky meets the ocean and salt-kissed winds whisper secrets into unassuming ears.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where the passion for the water, sand, and sun are passed down to little ones like a genetic trait...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here memories are recorded and seared into our minds and souls, portable and available for recall at any given moment...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Because it is these moments that we cling to when the days are dark, and we need that push to remind us why we are, and will always be, HAPPY....

Photobucket

Photobucket

The ability to be Happy is not a gift that is given to us, it is something we create within ourselves. It sustains us, lifts us, drives us, encourages us.

Photobucket

It is what we hope and pray for our children, our loved ones, our friends. We are all capable of true and bountiful happiness.

Photobucket

Make the decision to be happy, no matter what obstacles are thrown at you or crosses you may bear. We only get one chance to make this journey, called life. Live happily today.

Photobucket

Don't wait until you get "that" job, find that special person, have kids, or for the kids to get older. Do it today, because we are never promised tomorrow. Search for it, create it, and live it. Be happy. This is my hope and prayer for you, my friends.

Photobucket

Wishing you all a Happy and Blessed Easter week.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!! Love all the pictures. And so you know the Christmas Box is my favorite music of all time. I couldn't believe you have it playing on here!! You are wonderful and this blog is special. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love, and leave a message. You know you want to...!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones