Monday, August 1, 2011

Are we there yet?

Most days, I have to consciously remind myself that life is a journey, not a destination. 

I have always been a person who thrives on predictability, routine, a schedule, a plan.  I like to know where I am going, how I am going to get there, and what I will do upon arrival.  When taking a trip, I love to explore all that our destination has to offer and what I may encounter when I arrive.  I guess this planning and preparing allows me the illusion of control over that of which I am unsure. 

That's not to say that I don't enjoy spontaneity, a surprise, or the last minute get togethers that sometime provide some of the best memories.  I do, and I have grown more and more fond and accustomed of them during my last eight years of marriage.  I married a man who plans his professional path, but prefers more of a "let's wait and see what happens" approach when it comes to his personal life.  And while this makes me crazy in some (ok, many) ways, it also allows me to appreciate some of the places and things that I would have missed had we stayed with, "the plan". 

I remember traveling as a child on our family trips, asking our parents over and over, "..are we there yet?".  We would be packed into the back of the brown family station wagon (with the faux wood paneling and black smoke plumes of diesel, of course) or in the hot and smelly airplane with sweat dripping down our faces and backs, filled with anticipation about our next destination.  I was always so focused on where we were going and how quickly we would arrive, that I often missed the view.  I missed the majestic views of the Grand Canyon as we flew over because I was too busy looking at my watch to see how much more time we had left before we landed.  I missed our drive through the Smoky Mountains because I was either sleeping or annoying one of my siblings, just to pass the time.  I missed many parties and experiences in college (not that I didn't do my fair share of partying, trust me) that I now look back on and kick myself for, because I was so focused on staying "on track" and graduating "on time"....even after I switched my major and tourtured myself with a twenty-three hour semester class load, Navy ROTC, and sorority life...just to graduate in my self-imposed, four year deadline.  I realize, only now, that I have missed so many moments and opportunities because I was too busy wondering if I was, "there yet" instead of appreciating where I am right now. 

I am making it my daily mission to be present here, in this moment.  Not in later, tomorrow, next week/month/year.  Not when the kids are bigger, not when we have more money, less stress, more time, less debt, a cleaner/more organized or bigger house.  I am focusing on the here and NOW.  Because, really that is all we truly have.  We are never guaranteed to arrive at our planned destination, wherever that may be.  So I am rolling down the windows, letting the wind blow in my face, mess up my hair, and taking in the view. 

************************************************************************************************

Two weeks ago, my baby went to camp with his sister.  Wore a uniform, brought his lunchbox and strapped his backpack on.  My heart hurt with pride as he walked in with his big sister, hung his backpack up, stored his lunchbox and told me, "I draw you a picture today, Momma", like he had been doing it all his life.  I had been so concerned that he would cry when I left him, that it took me by surprise when it turned out I was the one barely holding back the flood until I got into the car.  And then, the dam broke.  Hot, stinging tears that dripped down my face and off my chin.  After a good hard cry, I did what any good mom does.  I laughed at myself, cursed myself for messing up my makeup, threw the car in reverse and started my errands. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

*************************************************************************************************

Matt has finally finished his two week "vacation" at home, and is now on to the next chapter in his ministry...New Orleans.  We were blessed to be able to send him off with other friends and family at a little gathering at his parent's home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

**************************************************************************************************

Our escape from South FL has commenced and we are well on our way to enjoying the rest of the summer visiting family and friends....

We are ecstatic to be at Nonnie's

Photobucket

Spending time together playing,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Relaxing,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Practicing our dives,

Photobucket

Photobucket

and our aerobatics.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And the fun continues.......

************************************************************************************************

We have many fun adventures on the horizon, but we are taking the time to enjoy this moment.  Are we there yet?  I'm not sure, but the journey has been a blast so far....

Now, if you'll excuse me.  I have a date with a best friend I haven't seen in months.  We've got lots of catching up to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love, and leave a message. You know you want to...!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones