As I sat down to write, I went back and re-read my last post trying to remember where I left off and I nearly fell off the couch as I realized it has been over five months since my last blog entry. I find it both shameful and somewhat incredible that so much time has passed. I failed to blog the entire last quarter of 2011. It's a New Year. And with that new year comes new beginnings and resolutions. More on that in a another post. We have some catching up to do.
My lack of writing has been weighing on me lately. Like a nagging wife, it is constantly in the back of my mind ...hounding me, reminding me. But the thing about that nag is, she sometimes has a valid point.
I blog/write for many reasons, one of the most important being my sanity. I don't need a shrink or therapy because I have an outlet. I have always been a person who needed to talk or write out all of the musings in my head. Through talking and writing, I find clarity in the clutter. Things that seem overwhelming because I can't make heads or tails of them as I "think" about them, become lucid "out loud". I also write for my kids and I. I hope that someday they can look back and read about the adventures we had before their minds created permanent memories. I want them to know how much I enjoy them and our lives. I also want them to one day, when they become adults, understand some of our struggles in life so they can gain insight and perspective into the people that we are....not just the parents they remember.
My point is, that when I don't blog/write I feel as though I am editing out part of my children's past. Yes, they are getting older and many of the memories we are creating are being imprinted and seared into their little brains. But there is also so much they will never remember, and in this age of technology where we are inundated and bombarded by information every moment, I want to create a little safe haven for the important memories that may someday get mind-dumped to make room for less important nonsense.
And anyone who truly knows me knows, despite my GREATEST intentions, I have never kept a baby book or scrapbooked one single page of my children's lives (insert sounds of disgust and horror). This blog is it. Time to stop making excuses and get back to business.
When I was trying to decide how to proceed from here(the prospect, overwhelming), I flashed upon a fairly recent memory. After about 20 years of not going to confession (side note: We Catholics believe that the act of confession or reconciliation is a sacrament, or a gift from God, and we are encouraged to attend regularly), I finally decided to return after many discussions with my dear friend (and spiritual mentor) Fr. Matt. When I entered the confessional (not Fr. Matt's), I went through the usual protocol of, "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been 20 years since my last confession..". I then said, "Father, I'm not quite sure where to start." He answered, "Well please, let's NOT start at the beginning...". So, with that thought in mind, I'll just hit the highlights....
Last I left off, I was on my way to meet a best friend for some catching up. You can be assured that we accomplished that, and then some....

There is never enough time, but that just makes our time together that much more special. Since my last post and visit with her, Summer accepted Ricky's marriage proposal and they were married in a small, intimate wedding in November at her parents home. My heart is overjoyed at their happiness! We wish them all the happiness, love and blessings life has to offer. Congratulations!!
****************************************************************
In keeping with my plan in the previous post, we took the time to enjoy each moment of the rest of our trip this past summer....
We took the kids sailing for the first time...

Climbed to the top of the Pensacola Lighthouse....


Enjoyed our two nights in the Admiral's quarters in the beautiful historic building at NAS Pensacola...




We spent our days doing our best to beat the scorching heat, on the slip 'n slide in Nonnie's backyard...



or on the cool water of beautiful Wakulla Springs.



But even from the best of dreams we must awake, so back to reality we returned...
******************************************
The school year began with my big girl starting Kindergarten at a new school, and my baby boy starting Pre-K3. A forecast for the perfect storm of emotions was present, but initially conditions seemed fair. No tears were shed as I watched my brave girl walk into her class, take her seat and watch, albeit somewhat bewildered, as her new class began. My heart swelled with pride at her courage and poise, despite knowing she was a total wreck (as was I).

My baby talked a tough game on the drive to his school, but fell apart the moment we approached his classroom door. Through tears (his and mine!) and sobs, he begged me, "Don't leave me, Momma!!!" and it took every ounce of strength I had to not grab him and run. Eventually his teachers broke his python grip on my neck and I ran from his classroom. After running to the safety of my car and collecting myself, I did go back for a sneak peak only to find him playing calmly and quietly. The storm had passed....for now.
While I watched as many others counted down to the start of the school year, the number of days posted as Facebook statuses, I personally dreaded it. I seriously dreaded the thought of sending my little ones off for someone else to enjoy, for hours a day. I love having them home with me. We fall into our little routine and it works. I SERIOUSLY considered (and to be honest, still do) homeschooling them. I know more and more people who do and while it consumes them, they also love it....for themselves and their children. Something to consider. Meanwhile, both kids have adjusted and are thriving in their new schools. They are making new friends and accumulating incredible amounts of knowledge. They already seem older and wiser....
*************************************
The arrival of a new school year trumpets the start of college football season....

and all the pomp, circumstance, and tradition that it brings.



And you can be sure we joined in the fun!

*************************************
Labor Day often conjures up images of the last days of summer. A weekend spent in the water, enjoying picnics and BBQs. This year, we bucked tradition.....literally.
A day spent at the Okeechobee Rodeo...

where bulls and broncos bucked...


kids chased calves (all with a smile)...

and my girl fell in love with barrel racing.
Sometimes different is good....

*************************************
My sweet girl turned six on September 22nd.

A birthday she shares, and celebrated, with her teacher Mrs. Annemarie Pontillo at school.

In all honesty, my girl's BIG day is a day that deserves its very own post. But since it is five months after the fact, I'm hitting the highlights....
My girl insisted on a Barbie beach party theme, which according to her required a HUGE inflatable water slide and as I have said in the past, when it comes to birthdays my kids wishes are my command....

Exhibit A:

And despite a brief break thanks to a torrential rain and lightening storm, many hours of sliding and splashing

by kids (and animals) of all ages was enjoyed.

My girl is six.

My lifelong dream of becoming a mother, came true six years ago....and not a day goes by that I don't celebrate that...

*********************************************
Fall is my favorite season. I love the way the light softens, the weather cools, the holidays begin. For years, Steve and I have talked about taking the kids up to see the changing leaves and enjoy the true sights, smells and tastes of Fall. Each year, the season comes and goes and our best intentions go unfulfilled.
Except this year. We finally did it. We found Fall in Boston and New Hampshire.

(Cue dreamy music)
A short flight on "Daddy plane" (JetBlue) to Boston, followed by a scenic drive into New Hampshire, lead us to the Fall Festival of my dreams....

As we arrived, a scene out of a Norman Rockwell painting came into focus.

Thousands of families were laughing, playing and enjoying the crisp Fall air...and for once, we were one of them.
Real pumpkin patches (not pumpkin stands)...



A petting zoo where I discovered I wasn't the only one having a bad hair day....

A barn that housed fresh, homemade ice cream made from local cows...

An apple orchard, where my babies picked an entire bag of eight different types of apples...




And maybe a few were enjoyed along the way....

It was everything I had ever hoped for in our Fall festival adventure....and then I was quickly shaken back to reality by the ear splitting screams of a toddler who desperately needed a nap.
However, before we left Boston we were able to meet up with our dear friends, the Stanley's....


and hug on our sweet, beautiful godson, Carter.

I was also able to squeeze in a few hugs with my good friend Aimee on the Boston Common.

Oh and by the way, I am officially in LOVE with Boston. I will be returning to continue my love affair very, very soon....
***************************************
My girl decided to try soccer this year.

Don't let the dirt and competition fool you. She's still all girl.
Pink ball, pink shin guards, hair bow and all....

And my girl...she scored 4 goals (only 1 for the other team) and had one assist in her first game. Watch out Mia Hamm!


***************************************
Our Halloween festitivites led us to our favorite farm (which has NOTHING on our New Hampshire farm, but beggars can't be choosers) with some of our favorite people....

where the search for the perfect pumpkin led us through a corn maze

and to a pumpkin patch, where superheroes swooped in and found THE pumpkin.


And despite having super-natural strength, sometimes even superheroes get pneumonia.

But they take their knocks and get back up in time to hit the trick or treating scene.

***************************************
In early November, we participated in a Lung Cancer Awareness and memory walk as "Team Oma's Love".


It's hard to believe that we have been without Oma for more than a year now. In some ways it seems like we have missed her forever, while in other ways it is hard to believe that a year has passed. But each and every day she is loved and missed more than words could do justice....

****************************************
This year, we had much to be thankful for. And we celebrated that with the ones we love at Thanksgiving.


Meet some of my favorite pilgrims...

****************************************
2011 also brought with it a better (and more exciting) way to travel....


Finally, my husband's profession has served his family personally, not just professionally.

And all parties enjoyed the benefits.

(Thanks Dad. You provided the airplane, Steve provided the piloting. You both ROCK!)
******************************************
I believe that all moments in life deserve to be celebrated....from the mundane to the extraordinary. In December, we celebrated the extraordinary.
Anyone who has ever had the privilege to meet my brother, Joe, knows that he is something pretty special. From the time he was a little boy, I have told everyone who would listen that he was destined to do great things in life. And while most would excuse such chatter as nothing more than the ramblings of a proud big sister, there were those who listened and believed in him as I did...and most importantly...as he did in himself.

I proudly introduce: Dr. Joseph M. Breza, PhD.....

My heart swelled with pride and admiration, for the little brother, who once (and sometimes still does) entertained us with his creative names, sound effects, silly faces, jokes and endless laughs

and is now making a monumental impact in the world of Neuroscience.

His ideas, techniques, research and publishings are new and groundbreaking.
But his love of family, friends, and colleagues is constant and unfailing.



And, by the turnout at his graduation party....the feeling is mutual.




Joe has made his mark on Florida State University....



but his love and friendship has made a permanent imprint on the hearts of all those who have been blessed to know him.



Congratulations, Joe. Wishing you all the best and the greatest of success as you pursue your dream and post-doctorate at The Ohio State University!

**********************************
I look forward to celebrating the Christmas season, all year. You can be sure, that as soon as Santa arrived via the Macy's Day Parade on Thanksgiving Day, we started rocking out Christmas.
From making Christmas ornaments...


to finding the PERFECT tree...

and trimming the tree.

Clark Griswold was at it again, but despite our best Christmas light decorating to date we still did not place in the annual neighborhood contest. One more reason to take it up a notch (or ten) next year!

We enjoyed the season with family and friends...


from a living nativity....



to the annual (amazing and very powerful) Christmas pageant....




from neighborhood Christmas caroling...


to the kids school Christmas programs...


and a visit with Santa.

We celebrated the way the season was meant to be celebrated...
with laughter...



with love...



with excitement...


thru eyes of belief and wonder...

and always remembering the true reason for the season.

2011 provided us with many wonderful opportunities to celebrate the most important things in life. Life is not always easy, but it is definitely worth it....


May the new year bring happiness, love, success and health to you and your families. Looking forward to all of the endless possibilities of the New Year. Happy 2012!!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some love, and leave a message. You know you want to...!